Thursday, April 21, 2011

Planting Some Good Eats On Your Property, Make A Statement.

Let say first, that I am not a total Non-GMO organic farmer. When it comes to some items, like blackberries, I find the GMO types to be just fine. They taste fine, and serve the needs that I use them for. Now I won't change my veggie seeds that are heirloom and non-gmo seeds that I have bought, traded or gathered. I don't remove folks post on my blog, because you have your opinion and I respect that, so be sure to honor me with the same respect.

Darker the berry, the sweeter the juice..... So I am going to start out by telling you about my personal A+ choice for a neat property line, or hedge row of your own. The most, best producing blackberries I have ever grown have been the Darrow Blackberries. yes they do cost a little more, but trust me when I say that the rewards are plenty and you will enjoy picking berries without the thorns. I like my Chicksaw blackberries as well, and they have some mean thorns....

The blossoms are nice to see, and the fruits are HUGE and living in zone 5 the Darrow proves to be a steady prducer of high quality fruit.

I also suggest this berry for my city dwellers and senior folks who just don't went to give blood every time the go berry picking. Even if you plant these in different areas of your property, 5 plants will produce enough berries for a family of four.

I like to saute them in a little stevia  and pour them over my buckwheat pan cakes, I will also add a little butter as well. I like maple syrup, but I also like fruit.

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of GMO black Berries. Are you sure that you don't mean hybrid? They are not the same thing. Hybrid is a cross between two strains of the same type of plant in order to get the positive traits of each. GMO,uses a virous to insert the gene of some completely differnt organism into the plant. In one type of GMO corn they splice in a gene from a fish. This is truly a sick and twisted thing.
    All in all I like your blog. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete