Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cold Crop Planting, Onion Talk, Storage Ideas You Never Knew About

Standing in line at the local thrift store isn't something that ever bothered me. I have often found useful perfectly functional items and clothes. Now standing in line with a few pairs of panty hose in my hand, well you know people are going to look. I don't wanna ask them what they think, and I don't want to know... I imagine they think all sorts, nothing close to what I am going to use them for.

As we are currently planting onion sets, I will be putting in more Monday, I wanted to share with you a few ideas on how to store these wonderful vegetables. In my Country Wisdom Know How book, the weaving  techniques that are shown in the book, were done by me and I wanted to show you how easy and nice it looks.

Now, getting to the next idea, either of these ideas are great for taking one at a time. I do admit that the weaving technique is more practical as its easier to remove onions that do go south during long term storage. With the next idea I am going to show you, its easy to send one of the kids down and get the one that I need for the meal.

I have defined this technique a little more by bagging them by sizes. This allows me to use the whole onion for the size meal I am preparing. After all, onion sizes is important in not only stretching out your supplies, but limits the waste amount as well. One more reason, if there such a thing, to much onion in a meal... I also re-purpose baskets found at local thrift stores for my shallots.


Do you have a method that you would like to share with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment