Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Morel Mushrooms, How To Cook, What Are These Tasty Treats? Pictures

When it comes to gathering mushrooms, most people are scared to adventure into the dark realms of fungi hunting no matter the rewards. But in truth, with the correct information and pictures, you can find the finest of fungi in the woods while out on a day hike or adventure with your family and friends.

Armed with a good book, Morel Hunting can mean the difference between you and a wonderful meal. There are hundreds of edible mushrooms growing in your backyard, a good book with hundreds of photos can be the best pocket guide when your out hunting for fungi. I am not armed with just one guide, I have several, two I take in the field with me. Beginners Guide is a great place to start, my field guide that is small enough to fit in my pack and a great field reference guide is this field guide.

Today, I am sharing with you some of my favorite eats. If you are not willing/able/scared to go hunting for Morels, than you can buy Dried Morels on line. If by chance you have not tried these wonderful treats, take the plunge and splurge a little, perhaps as a romantic meal, or you want to impress some guest.

I started my own Morel patch, and after some research, and a second try, I finally had some come up. I harvested them, ate a few and dehydrated a few and froze them. These treats can be found everywhere in the United States, and the wild patches are a close guarded secrets, closer than the Ginseng patches.

People were camo, cover patches with branches, and go into the area in different ways not to expose their patch to other people, and trust me you can never tell who a hunter is or not. People plan their vacations around the Morel spring season just to gather the wonderful fungi. I am one of those people who take some extra precautions when hunting Morels, and not to expose my own two patches. I will take you Morel hunting later this year, via video on youtube.

I like to do a egg wash, than a seasoned flour, and into the fry pan until golden brown. I also love these things with gravies, soups, meats, or sauteed in butter with a touch of garlic. They have a very profound unique taste like no other mushroom has. I have two wild patches I visit in warmer weather as well as a puffball patch on my own property.

Soaked in chicken stock for 20-30 minutes, they are nice and moist again ready to batter. Reserve the chicken stock for an awesome gravy or wonderful soup base.




Get your flour, egg wash, and oil in pan. Depending on the meal, I add different spices to my flour to season the batter.
I do a light egg wash
 You should wash in one hand, and flour with the other, but it was hard to take pics with dirty hands








No comments:

Post a Comment